JRPGs have been a long beloved genre in the gaming world. The often deep and rich stories stick with us for years and become the spark that ignites new friendships. I’ve had moments go from awkward silence to joyous laughing at the simple utterance of Final Fantasy. This amazing genre has influenced and inspired thousands of fans across the world and Nicholas Spargo, creative director for Melancholy Republic, is no different.
Melancholy Republic is a JRPG inspired, cinematic story driven adventure game produced by indie developer Cloud Runner Studios, who cites influence from games like Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger.
The story takes place in the beautiful city state Lorna where you play as Claire C. Lockridge, a new senator within the Central Parliament. Elected following her father’s assassination and filled with ambition, Claire and her comrades seek to put an end to corruption and prevent a brooding civil war at the heart of her country. In her search to unearth the mysteries of her father’s death, she will meet the people of Lorna and uncover the heartbreaking stories that lie within. Little does she know the lives she affects and people she meets along the way will forever change the course of history.
• Experience the deep and tragic story of Claire and Marianne. Set against the backdrop of a richly detailed political and cultural world.
• Explore the beautiful and vast environments across the city of Lorna. From the rich halls of parliament to the vast ‘slums sky rise’.
• Uncover the heartbreaking stories by meeting the people of Lorna. Each chapter introduces new memorable characters and their own personal stories.
• Savour a rich, varied and original soundtrack. In the spirit of classic JRPGs Melancholy Republic boasts a heavily melodic and deeply original collection of music. Including several tracks recorded live with a 73 piece symphonic orchestra.
• Make decisions that change aspects of the story. Claire will often have a choice to make which will change the lives of the people around her.
“The idea for Melancholy Republic actually came from an idea I had since I was young. I loved Final Fantasy VII and always wondered what would have happened if Cloud and his team never left the city of Midgar. Not literally what would happen but the concept of an epic game set within one city, exploring the story of that city and its people. The idea of a politicians tragic tale to save her city came from that idea. The actual sad and tragic narrative we have in mind came about from wanting more mature and non cliché stories in video games. The tragedy genre is a huge part of western culture and I wanted to explore creating a game that utilizes charismatic and ambitious characters wrapped up in a heart-breaking journey. The game like many JRPGs that inspired it is full of humor, great characters, politics but ultimately tragedy, as that is our spin on an epic JRPG story.” – cloudrunnerstudios
This game features a beautiful soundtrack produced by Metromix Studios and gorgeous art work. I’ve had a bit of a lengthy break from the classic JRPG genre and this game seems like the perfect rope to pull me back in. I’m a sucker for politics, tragedy, and a rich story, so I look forward to discovering what Melancholy Republic brings to the table.
Melancholy Republic is a Kickstarter game that has reached its campaign goal and is nearing its steam debut. It’s set for a February release, but be sure to follow the game on steam as no specific day has been announced or check back in for new updates on this title in the coming days.